Monday, June 13, 2011

Home Sweet Home

I don't care where you live or where you are from, there is no place like home. If you try to argue with me, that is fine, I will gladly tune you out.

I was lucky to have two friends get married and give me the world's best excuse to come home for two weeks. I flew directly from Zürich, Switzerland to Seattle, Washington (with a 5 hour delay in Philadelphia that turned slowly into 7 hours when a water leak was discovered on the plane). It took me 24 hours to finnaly arrive in Seattle (but with the time change I only lost about 13 hours), and I was beyond excited to be greeted at the airport by the bride-and-groom-to-be.

The following days left no time for jet-leg adjustments because of all of the wedding preparations - but boy was I excited! Over the past year I had spent hours on the phone with Christie listening to her swoon over Barry, hours scheming with Barry on how to get a ring on Christie's finger, 30 seconds booking it miles up a mountain ahead of the two to hide in the bushes for an hour while Barry popped the question, and then 9 long months in Switzerland awaiting the wedding. I am a hopeless romantic so I was more than ready to share the day when they tied the knot. The ceremony was beautiful, the reception was a blast, and I wouldn't have missed the occasion for the world. I mean, seriously, is there a prettier bride in the world? (If you are reading this and married, I am sure you were the prettiest bride in the world on your wedding day too, as will I be on mine!)



(I do not have pictures of the actual wedding as I was a Bridesmaid and have been told it is tacky to snap photos of a wedding you are in.)

While my time in Seattle was short and definitely more than sweet, I was excited to go home and spend time with my family and friends in Boulder, Colorado. The week was filled with lots of hugs, kisses (mostly sticky lip gloss ones from my mommy), and playing the guitar and piano. There is nothing better than returning home for two weeks of relaxation and rejuvination.


One of my favorite Boulder traditions is the Bolder Boulder - a 10k run/race through the city of Boulder on Memorial Day. I can remember numerous times as a child "running" this race with my best friend, Ali (and by running I mean hit every lemonade stand, sprinkler, and slip-and-slide along the way). This year, as I have been experiencing European culture (and cuisine) at its best, I did not run the race, but my parents did. So I went to the stadium in the morning to meet up with my parents after the race and watch the Memorial Day show. And it wouldn't be complete without the 6 skydivers and "Proud to be and American" by Lee Greenwood.



On June 2, my 25th Birthday, I was surprised with a mother/daugher facial followed by dinner at Outback Steakhouse for the perfect medium rare steak and mashed potatoes. I seriously ate it all...and then licked my cheesecake plate clean. I mean, seriously, you would think I had been starved in Switzerland (which I can assure you is not the case).
8 oz. Steak (cooked medium rare), 3 half lobster tails, mashed potatos, and broccoli. YUM!
Besides the wonderful food I ate and soul food of spending time with friends and family, I always spend time reflecting on the absolute beauty that Boulder, Colorado offers. I am sure that your hometown is spectacular, but I guarantee you that there is no place like Boulder. It will always hold a special place in my heart and will always, always be Home.

(Photo not computer edited)

No comments:

Post a Comment