Monday, July 12, 2010

How it all began...

One fateful morning on June 1, 2010, I was called into my boss' office for the kind of meeting you never saw coming and wish you never had to sit through: the formal reprimand. DUN, Dun, dun. Now before you jump to conclusions and think that I was auditioning to be the star of a new TV series Interior Designers Gone Wild, I would just like to say that the reprimand had nothing to do with my work ethic, performance, or quality of design that I have contributed to my company. I will spare you the details, but lets just say that when it was over I thought it was a clear indication that my position at the firm was on the line.

After lots of tears, advice from the fam, and several conversations with the Man Upstairs, I slowly loosened my grip on my life as I knew it and decided to embrace the chance to discover what opportunities might be at my fingertips. Then, on June 6, 2010, while on a drive down to San Diego, I was surprised by a phone call from my brother. Usually conversations with my brother are along the lines of:
"Hey, how are you?"
"Good, you?"
"Good. How's work?"
"Fine, you?"
"Same old, same old."
"Ok, glad you're doing well, talk to you later"
"Love you!"
"Love you too."
The end.

This conversation? This conversation went a little like this:
"Hey brother, what's up?"
"Not much. I've been doing some thinking about your situation at work and I think you should go to work on Monday, quit your job, and move to Switzerland."
"What?"
"Yeah, I think you should quit your job and move to Switzerland."
"No. You are out of your mind."
"Do it."
"No."
"Yes."
"No."
"YES!"
"Fine."

So I went to work on Monday and I quit my job. Ok, maybe it wasn't that simple and I prayed a lot and consulted a couple people over the course of the weekend, but in one conversation my life was turned upside down and shaken like a piggy bank. Oh, and I didn't quit my job on the spot, I put in a one month notice, which to my great relief, was a surprise to my boss and a supported choice in the end.

So now that I had decided to move to Switzerland, put my notice in at work, it was time to look for a job abroad and then contact my family in Switzerland see if it was ok with them if I moved.
Wait...hold on a second! So you mean to say that I quit my job with no money saved and without out a place to stay, and with no job abroad?!
Yep.
Was I out of my mind?
Probably.
Woah.

And that, folks, is what happens when God says, "Go" and you obey with no questions asked. You end up waking up every morning thinking to yourself , "You're out of your mind. YOU are OUT of your MIND!" As it turns out, my family in Switzerland was more than excited to hear that I wanted to move in with them and told me that I would have no problem finding a job by the time I moved at the end of August. So while I may have done a few things out of order, everything was falling into place.

Besides, it's exhilarating to see how God already has everything planned out and unravels the next chapter at the perfect moment.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment