Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Eleven Months and Counting...

It is amazing how much can happen in a year and how quickly the time passes. One year ago today I packed my car and left Los Angeles beginning my adventure of moving abroad. Eleven months ago I landed in Switzerland. Today, I am two weeks away from packing again to begin the path towards returning home. I feel confident about the choice to end this stage of my life but it is still bitter sweet.

While living with another family and working as an Au Pair has made living in Switzerland possible I cannot wait to return to working as an interior designer and having my independence back. But of course that also means that I won't be able to hop a mere 12 minute train ride to Zürich and venture the thousand year old streets. I can't hop on a train and find myself in Italy 3 hours later. I can't adventure Europe on a whim.

I have no idea what will happen when I return to Los Angeles in November (as I have no certain job yet) but I have certainty that the next three months are going to be some of the most exciting months of my life. As you may have noticed on the right sidebar I have added quite a few countdowns to various adventures that I am persuing over the next three months. Here is the official breakdown:

On August 11 my current Au Pair job is officially over. I pack my bags and move everything to my aunt's house across the lake...but not for long!

From August 12-15 I am Rome, Italy adventuring, touring the Vatican, hanging out with Michelangelo, and fighting with the Gladiators in the Colosseum.

On August 16 I move in with another family (neighbors of my current host family) to work as an Au Pair for them for two weeks.

On August 29 I meet up with a certain Michael (refer to December 2 blog about Starbucks. Turns out he is basically the coolest person I know) to go to Greece for a week! We are going to Athens for two days and then are headed to Santorini to do whatever we want until we fly back to Zürich on September 5.

From September 5-26 I will be living with my aunt in Adliswil while hopefully getting plenty of babysitting jobs to save up some money and hopefully travel to Paris.

On September 27 I hop on a plane bound for the USA. Fortunately, I was able to use frequent flyer miles to book my flight back to Denver. Unfortunately, I fly from Zürich to JFK to Columbus, Ohio to Chicago to Denver. Yeah...tackling the USA one hour flights at a time.

Once I am home in Boulder I have some time to relax...and by relax I mean pack all of my worldly belongings into Abby (my 2005 Honda Civic EX which is way better than a certain 2007 Honda Civic SI) and drive to Los Angeles on October 1-2. FINALLY I will be back at my permanent home...

But not really because three days later I fly to New Zealand on October 5 for three weeks to visit my sister and brother-in-law! I was lucky to purchase a ticket on Virgin Australia that actually gives me a 12 hour layover in Brisbane, Australia which is plenty of time to hang out and see the city for a day! I haven't seen my sister in almost two years and hanging out with her in Dunedin, helping her work on her new house, and making some small adventures around the south island is going to be beyond awesome. Besides, when I start working in the corporate world again I can kiss three week vacations goodbye forever (silly USA two week vacation allowances).

On October 28 I fly back to Los Angeles where I will remain indefinitely until an earthquake or God tells me otherwise.

Looking into the short future there are still a lot of unknowns, but I don't really need to worry about them because I know that God already has a plan for me (Jeremiah 29:11). Besides, I have enough on my plate for the next three months to keep me busy until then!

So cheers to the last year and the next three months because although I didn't actually live the lifestyle of the rich and famous it sure feels that way sometimes. :)

1 comment:

  1. Politifact states that your delirious comment regarding a 2005 Honda Civic being better than a 2007 Civic Si is a lie. In fact, it may win Lie of the Year.

    ReplyDelete