Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Swiss Independence Day

Yesterday marked the 720th birthday of Switzerland. Whenever I bragged about the age of Switzerland (as if a country gets better with age like a fine wine), I always received the same two questions: What year did Switzerland declare independence and who did Switzerland become independent from? So let me take this opportunity to share a little fun facts about the birth of this grand country (and to set the story straight because I told some accidental lies yesterday).

First of all, if you can do simple subtraction, Switzerland became its own country in 1291. To be honest, after reading multiple Wikipedia sites, I am more confused as ever about the actual start of Switzerland. After the death of Rudolf I of Germany (but really he worked for the Romans) the three Cantons of Uri, Schwyz, and Unterwalden signed the Federal Charter of 1291 basically founding the Confederacy. Around this time comes the cool story. Some people claim that it is only a legend, but it is entertaining nonetheless.

Wilhelm Tell.

You may recognize the name from The William Tell Overature, the common horse racing tune we all know so well today. Well I bet you didn't know the guy was Swiss! So here it goes. Basically there was this horrible Austrian man named Gessler who had reign of the Cantons of Uri and Schwyz. He raised a poll in the middle of the Altdorf square, put his hat on top and made people bow before it. Wilhelm Tell, an expert marksman, wouldn't bow before it so Gessler had him arrested. As punishment Tell was forced to shoot an arrow at an apple placed on his own son's head otherwise both would be executed. If Tell successfully shot the apple off his son's head he was promised freedom. On November 18, 1307, Tell successfully shot the apple off his son's head with his crossbow. Gessler, who had noticed the Tell had taken two arrows out of his quiver (yep, googled that term), asked Tell why. Tell replied that if he had killed his son he was going to immediately kill Gessler. Clearly this angered Gessler who had Tell bound once again to be taken to the castle dungeon in Küssnacht (not the town I live in). On the way, a huge storm broke out on the Lake Luzern and the feared soldiers asked Tell to steer the boat, in which Tell took the opportunity to escape. He quickly swam ashore and as Gessler passed by on land to meet the boat, Tell assasinated him with his bow and arrow. His defiance sparked a revolution that led to the formation of the Old Swiss Confedaracy, which also included the Cantons of Glarus and Zug as well as the city states Zurich, Luzern, and Bern. Thus Switzerland is now Switzerland and we can all celebrate now.

(I hope my story was informative though I really don't understand how the Austrians and the Romans actually fit into this whole schindigg.)


Ever since I was a kid my family has celebrated Swiss Independence Day. Every year I get to celebrate a holiday that no one else I know celebrates, I get to set off fireworks (a luxury my mom won't agree upon on the 4th of July), eat delicious bratwurst, and for the following week I get to eat pie for breakfast. Great is an understatement. Over the course of the past 10 years after meeting a few more Swiss people and visiting the country a couple times, I have been told on numorous occasions that, from the sound of it, my family celebrates Swiss Independence better than Swiss people actually living in Switzerland do. I merely brushed it off thinking that these people were just being humble as always. So as the 1st of August 2011 neared and my opportunity to experience the holiday in its originiating country got closer and closer, my excitement grew exponentially. Maybe I set my expectations too high or maybe I should have actually believed the feedback, but I have to admit: My family does Swiss Independence Day better than Switzerland.

First of all, no one even knew what festivites there were other than scattered fireworks that evening. So with no plans during the day and the fact that I am known to be lazy on a day off, I didn't leave my bedroom until 6pm. Finally I got my act together and went into the city to meet up with some friends. I even went all the way to the other side of the lake to watch the fireworks, which was cool, but nothing out of the ordinary from your average firework show.

Saraya, Ayana, and Me




















While I had an absolute delightful time wandering around Zürich with some of my favorite ladies, eating a delicious dinner (Kebob is FAR from Swiss, but sooo delicious), and watching fireworks on the lake, I can't help but feel a little homesick over missing the festivities back home...in Boulder, Colorado. I wonder if I just miss the unusual-ness of being Swiss since it is my everyday life now, but somehow "being Swiss" just isn't the same without my family and you can see for yourself why:

Left: Dad, Second Cousin, Aunt




Mom, 100 Year Old Grandfather, Aunt

It seems as though I have learned that in life there are some things that just can't replace family. I love you all!
(Special thanks to my cousin, Anya, who provided these pictures)

1 comment:

  1. No Swiss Mix Hot Chocolate? Maybe that was a secret ingredient that was missing.

    ReplyDelete