Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving comes once a year...but only in the USA

Dear Americans,
Happy Thanksgiving!

Dear Europeans,
Get back to work, it's Thursday.

It's amazing to me how many Americans have asked me if Switzerland celebrates Thanksgiving. I guess they slept through that day sophomore year of high school in American History because...REALLY?

History Lesson 101:
The first "Thanksgiving" was in 1621 in Plymoth Rock when the surviving pilgrims from the Mayflower gathered with Native Americans to have a giant feast because the harvest that year had been bountiful. In 1789, George Washington declared a national day of Thanks. Finally, in 1941, Thanksgiving was sanctioned by Congress as a national holiday on the fourth Thursday of November. (Yes, I googled that.)

Now this is the part in my blog where I could call you out, put you in your place, and say something totally witty to emphasize the point that asking if Switzerland celebrates Thanksgiving is totally ridiculous, but I'm pretty sure that it's unnecessary (because you should already feel pretty bad about yourself).

So to answer your question of how I spent my Thanksgiving - It's the same thing I did last Thursday: Work. German lessons. Work...

...But I did listen to an abundance of Christmas music. Specifically Christina Aguilera's My Kind of Christmas album and N'Sync's Home for Christmas album.

It's officially Christmas season here as you can see below - the Swarovski Christmas tree in the Zurich Hauptbahnhof! The pictures don't do justice...





No comments:

Post a Comment