Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I killed my Orchid (but I'm blaming it on the snow)

I killed my Orchid...yet I'm fully responsible for raising a two year old. Go figure.

The next part of my post was going to compare and contrast caring for an orchid versus caring for a two year old, but something far more interesting happend that I must report. When I started my google search, I got as far as "How to..." and automatically "How to calm a two year old" popped up in the search suggestions. As I continued typing I got as far as "How to care for..." and automatically "How to care for an orchid" popped up. I know I'm a little bit of a Google fanatic with iGoogle, Gmail, Blogger, and Picasa, so Google basically tracks every detail of my life, but I'll give props them for reading my mind. While impressive, I'm not going to lie...I'm a little disturbed.

Enough about two year olds and dead orchids (not to be mixed up with orchids and dead two year olds).

I am thoroughly enjoying Christmas season here in Zurich. While lonely and freezing, there is something magical about it. The old architecture, the scenic lake and the abundance of Christmas lights all lightly dusted with snow is something you would picture out of a story book. Most cities in the USA decorate trees here and there along the main city streets or scenic walking areas. In Zurich, leave it to the most expensive street in all German speaking counrties to bling it out like you've never seen before. Named "Lucy" after The Beatles' song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", there are 12,000 circular LED lights suspended from cables down the entire street that cost a mere 2.5 million Swiss Francs.

"Lucy"


On the side streets, branching off from Bahnhofstrasse there are even more lights to see, each with their own unique design!



So of course to celebrate the feeling of Christmas in the air, a group of us Au Pairs got together and went ice skating. While the other girls could probably compete with Tara Lapinski, I've only been to an ice skating birthday party. Once. In Elementary school. But after a couple slow and scary loops around the rink I found my center of gravity and didn't fall once! (Enter applause below) Alles gut in die Schweiz!



Rachel, Zoe, Me, Zuzana, and Michelle
(from left to right)

No comments:

Post a Comment