Friday, December 3, 2010

Getting Lost in Zurich

Most of you who know me wouldn't be surprised to hear I got lost in Zurich. In fact, most of you wouldn't put it past me to get lost in Ikea (but in my defense that place is a maze). Although it would make a funny blog story and an interesting memory, I didn't get lost in Zurich today. Well, not in the way you would typically think.

This morning I got lost in Zurich like you can get lost in a good book (not the Lifetime movie version). It's the kind of feeling when you are completely surrounded by adventure, you're the only person in the whole world and you wouldn't mind it lasting forever.

Fresh Snow in Kusnacht
After getting about 7cm of fresh snow last night (which is really only about 2 inches but sounds like more when I write it in centimeters), life just seemed like a fresh, clean slate. All the leftover fall leaves, the muddy grass from the previous weeks of rain, and the lack of green plants were all covered with snow. And not just any kind of snow - snowball snow. People who are snow savvy (I'm talking to you, Colorado) know that snowball snow is the best kind. Not so dry that it just blows straight into your face with the slightest breeze and not so wet that it's just melting sleet. I'm talking about grab-your-snowpants-and-build-a-snowman snow. So I grabbed my boots and headed into the city.

Old Town Zurich
My destination - Old Town Zurich. Just east of the Limmat River is a twisty turning maze of cobblestone streets and tiny boutiques. Come to think of it, it probably wouldn't be unrealistic for me to actually get lost there one of these days. The walls on either side of these one-lane narrow streets are so high that you feel like Alice in Wonderland walking through a tunnel. You never know what sight you might see just around the corner or if it will just come to a sudden dead end.

Well lucky for me, just around the corner was Starbucks. Now, before you judge me for entering an American chain in the heart of amazing European cafes, let me explain that after being in a foreign country for three months, American chains are as close to home as I can get. When I walk through the door let me make myself clear that all the Swiss people become the foreigners who are speaking the wrong language - not the other way around. And yes, I will order my Grande five pump soy chai with no water and no foam at 180 degrees in English.

Starbucks (bottom right corner)
After ordering a Grande Gingerbread Latte (I changed it up) and being quickly reminded of my current European location when I had to shell out 8.40 Swiss Francs, I plopped myself down at a table with my laptop and proceeded to upload my new photos from the morning stroll. It wasn't long after I sat down that the guy sitting across from me, also on his computer, said something to me...and it was English! His name is Michael and he's traveling through Europe on his way home to Virginia from Japan. So what do you know, I'm not the only one who thinks of Starbucks as a US Embasy. I thoroughly enjoyed my liquid gingerbread cookie while swaping travel stories with what I like to pretend is a lifetime of Swiss knowledge and experience. I think I'll make this Starbucks my new default.

No comments:

Post a Comment